Skin Cancer Reconstruction at Southern California Center for Surgical Arts
Skin cancer reconstruction is a specialized surgical procedure aimed at restoring form and function to areas of the skin affected by skin cancer removal. At Southern California Center for Surgical Arts, we offer comprehensive skin cancer reconstruction services to help patients achieve optimal outcomes and restore their confidence. Here’s everything you need to know about skin cancer reconstruction:
What Is Skin Cancer Reconstruction?
Skin cancer reconstruction is a surgical procedure performed to repair defects in the skin caused by the removal of cancerous lesions. This may involve closing wounds, reshaping tissue, or reconstructing facial features affected by skin cancer removal. The goal of skin cancer reconstruction is to restore both the appearance and function of the affected area while minimizing scarring and preserving natural contours.
Types of Skin Cancer Reconstruction
Skin cancer reconstruction techniques vary depending on the size, location, and severity of the defect. Common techniques can include:
- Primary Closure: Directly closing the wound with sutures or skin adhesive.
- Skin Grafting: Transplanting healthy skin from another area of the body to cover the defect.
- Flap Surgery: Transferring nearby tissue with its blood supply to reconstruct the affected area.
- Tissue Expansion: Gradually stretching adjacent skin to provide coverage for larger defects.
- Microsurgery: Using microsurgical techniques to transfer tissue from distant donor sites for complex reconstructions.
The Skin Cancer Reconstruction Procedure
Skin cancer reconstruction is typically performed after the cancerous lesion has been removed by a dermatologist or oncologic surgeon. The reconstruction procedure may be performed immediately following skin cancer removal (primary reconstruction) or at a later time once the wound has healed (delayed reconstruction). Our experienced surgical team will work closely with you to develop a personalized treatment plan tailored to your needs and goals.
Recovery and Results
Recovery time and outcomes vary depending on the specific reconstruction technique used and the location of the defect. Patients may experience swelling, bruising, and discomfort following skin cancer reconstruction, which typically subsides within a few weeks. Final results become apparent as the healing process progresses, with scarring gradually fading over time.
Why Choose Southern California Center for Surgical Arts for Skin Cancer Reconstruction?
- Experienced surgical team with expertise in skin cancer reconstruction techniques
- Individualized treatment plans tailored to each patient’s unique needs and aesthetic goals
- Compassionate and comprehensive care to address both functional and cosmetic concerns
- Commitment to patient safety, satisfaction, and natural-looking results
Schedule A Consultation for Skin Cancer Reconstruction
To learn more about skin cancer reconstruction and schedule a consultation with our experienced surgical team, please contact Southern California Center for Surgical Arts today. Let us help you restore your skin health and confidence after skin cancer removal.