Tummy Tuck surgery is designed for patients who are in need of significant weight loss or wishes to remove excess skin or fat. While weight loss is always on our minds and in our media, especially in Los Angeles, the way to get model-like lean legs or Beyoncé’s hourglass shape is NOT by going under the knife. However, if you are suffering from a significant excess of fat or skin in the abdomen, we can help!
Am I a Good Candidate?
When considering any kind of surgery, you must be aware of the consequences of putting your body through such a rigorous procedure. This is why we only recommend tummy tucks to patients who are or have been more than 30 pounds overweight. Many new mothers who are having trouble shedding their pregnancy weight often seek tummy tuck surgery to get them back to their normal weight and restore the confidence and happiness that may be affecting conditions like post-partum depression.
You may be a good candidate for a tummy tuck if you have one of the following characteristics:
- You were recently pregnant and are not planning on having more children
- You are more than 30 pounds overweight
- Your excess weight is carried in the stomach and is resistant to diet and exercise
- You have recently lost a significant amount of weight and are suffering from sagging skin in the abdomen
- Your extra weight makes you feel self-conscious, stressed or depressed
About the Procedure
Your tummy tuck procedure is done under general anesthesia to the whole body and typically lasts 2-5 hours, ranging depending on the patient and case. Often if a patient is in need of significant weight loss, abdominoplasty (tummy tuck surgery) will be combined with liposuction to remove excess fat before loose skin is tightened in the abdomen.
During the tummy tuck, an incision will be made across the lower stomach, typically a u-shape between the hip bones. If no liposuction needs to be performed, excess skin will be removed and the remaining skin tightened across the body. Muscular structure will be restored beneath the skin, and the incision will be closed with your new shape in tact.
Find out more about your tummy tuck recovery time and see before & after photos on our website!
Our Advice/Procedure Prep
In order to evaluate whether a tummy tuck is right for you, we recommend three tests:
- Make a natural effort: before considering surgery as a solution to skin tightening or weight loss, we recommend you try these options the natural way. Try editing your diet and exercise routine and see if you achieve your desired results without going under the knife.
- Prepare your body for surgery: if you believe you may be a candidate for a tummy tuck, begin preparing for your surgery immediately! Quitting smoking is essential for any cosmetic surgery patient, and improving your overall health is important for your recovery process. Though Dr. Elias will give you specific instructions and a full medical evaluation before your procedure, it is important to focus on your health as far in advance as possible, for best results and fastest recovery.
- Call Dr. Elias: He is known as Los Angeles’ most compassionate doctor for a reason! Dr. Elias has your back and is available to address your concerns and questions about any procedure you are considering. Schedule your consultation today and look forward to individualized care from LA’s best.